Find out how to refund a payment in AMS and why it’s not always possible
Occasionally it might be necessary to refund a payment, for example if a shopper returns an item. You can refund the full amount or part of the amount that the shopper paid. A refunded amount must be made to the original payment method, for example the credit or debit card that the shopper paid with. You must have sufficient funds in your Merchant Account to pay for the refund. Otherwise, we cannot authorise it and the refund will be declined
Note: A refund is possible only after a payment transaction has been settled and the status is Paid. Typically, this means the day after the payment has been processed. If a payment is not eligible for a refund, the Refund option is not available in AMS. If you need to act sooner than a refund is possible, you can cancel the payment transaction instead.
To refund a payment in AMS:
1. Sign into AMS.
2. From the AMS menu on the left, select Gateway Transactions.
3. Search for and select the transaction that you need to refund.
Tip: Click a transaction to select it and display the Details.
4. From the Details view of the transactional amount, you will see a Refund button.
5. To refund the full amount:
a. Select Refund.
6. For a partial refund:
a. Enter the amount.
b. Select Refund.
7. Select Confirm refund. If you run a new transaction search, this refund will be the latest transaction.